Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kindergarten - Honduras style!

As school draws near, I've been thinking of all the fun and wonderful things I've experienced this summer. Some of you may know (from an earlier "meet the teacher" post) that I have a heart for missions. In June, I traveled back to Honduras for a mission trip with a group of folks from my church. I absolutely LOVE the country and people of Honduras. It was so amazing to re visit a village where I had been once before and recognize some of the kiddos - and them recognize ME after 3 years. Believe me, tears were shed from multiple in our group! While the trip always leaves me humbled, what I love most about it...is that I get to share it with my Dad. 
Here is my Dad with a kiddo in a neighborhood called Nueva Oriental. Honduras is a very poor/third world country with a corrupt government. There is a need for almost anything there and particularly, in this little neighborhood. While we were in Honduras, we served and delivered food, built houses (tiny, 1-room wooden homes, where the doors are cut with chain saws), baptized people, and most importantly....shared the love of Jesus. Hondurans truly are so thankful for anything you do and give them because, believe me, they have very little. I began collecting school supplies and whatnot towards the end of school. I was touched by the teacher's response when I handed her a bag full of new and USED supplies and she happily accepted! Broken crayons, half empty glue bottles, and markers that had been handled by all 18 of my students...which is where I will begin my post...
Here is the kindergarten classroom in Nueva. No "school" per say, no electricity, no bathroom, no bus or car lane, no technology, little supplies, and a concrete floor. Many children do not even attend school because to attend, you must have a uniform and majority of the families cannot afford them. The Honduran school year runs from February to November and almost 58% of the children that attend, drop out by the time they reach 5th grade. There is a sense of helplessness among parents who desire a good education for their children but cannot provide them with the uniform they need to attend. It is extremely sad. I was so intrigued by this little building and the fact that learning took place using NONE of the things, we as Americans, take for granted on a daily basis. This certainly makes me appreciate my 102 year old school building and the desk that I claimed in an earlier post "came over on the ark." I wanted to share with you another kindergarten classroom in a different part of  the country (about an hour away)...no uniforms here...but a CLASS full, no assistant, and little supplies.
Still...SO different than what we are used to and take for granted. Do you see their sweet little classroom library in the back? 
Check out their playground! You know that in America...we would deem this a "law suit waiting to happen." But in Honduras, it is a child's dream! I leave you with this blogger friends...
It isn't what we have in our pockets or classrooms that make us thankful, it is what we have in our hearts. And I, for one, am thankful for ALL of my blessings - a small, 102 year old classroom and all! ;-) I am far more blessed than I deserve. Tell me...what are YOU thankful for? Wishing you a wonderful new school year...~Miss E

3 comments:

Tara said...

Wow! What a beautiful and powerful post! I envy you! I have always wanted to go on a missions trip but haven't .....yet:) Thank you for sharing this pics and your thoughts....we are truly blessed and so many do take it for granted...it's very sad. I am thankful for so much in my life: my precious family, my job, my friends, my health,....the list goes on. Thanks for the post and reminder that what matters is our hearts, what's in them, and how we share that with the world:))

4th Grade Frolics

Tami said...

Thanks for sharing! I am teaching at an international school in Mexico, but it's a much different situation as most of the families are pretty affluent.I really enjoyed reading through this post and seeing your school. Your kiddos are very lucky to have you as their teacher. In answer to your question, I am thankful to be able to pass each day with my students, laughing with them, listening to them, and being able to have such a fun and rewarding career as teaching. That truly is a gift.

James W. Denham, MD, MBA, FCAP said...

Awesome blog post!!!!!! Thank you for sharing.